Impress with color! Recipe for easy marbled cookies
This gluten-free cake is easy to make and keeps for several days – as long as you can resist the temptation to finish it in one sitting!
Lemon cake with polenta and almond flour
200 g butter at room temperature
200 g sugar
200 g almond flour or ground almonds
100 g polenta or cornmeal (I like coarsely ground to give the cake more texture)
Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
1.5 tsp baking powder
Juice of 2 lemons
125 g powdered sugar
Follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/175 C/Gas Mark 4 and position the rack in the middle of the oven. Grease a round cake pan, approx. 24 cm in diameter.
- Beat the sugar and butter together until fluffy. The butter must be really soft or this step will be difficult. You can add one of the eggs, if necessary.
- Mix the almond flour, polenta and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture and gradually add the flour, while constantly stirring. Make sure everything is mixed well. Add the lemon zest.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared cake pan and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes; check after 30 minutes. Take the cake out when the edges are nicely brown and have begun to shrink away from the sides of the pan. Check the cake with a toothpick to make sure the center is cooked.
- Heat the lemon juice and powdered sugar in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the lemon drizzle over the cake while it is still warm and let it soak into the cake. Allow the cake to cool before serving.
Serve the cake with tangy berries and whipped cream. It is also possible to freeze the cake, but it will also stay moist for several days in the fridge.